The Gaming Highway

Thank you for flying The Gaming Highway. Please relax and enjoy your flight.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gaming Highway

Thank you for flying The Gaming Highway. Please relax and enjoy your flight.

The Gaming Highway

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gameway Portal is up. Click Portal for news, post info, and most importantly, our new affiliates! Another game is in the works and will be released soon. Also, everyone give a warm welcome to our new admin, Abrecan Eyndrill!

+4
zooken
Flan
Grimmjow Jaggerjack
PremierRed
8 posters

Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society

PremierRed
    PremierRed
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet
    Name: Bozo the Bloodthirsty

Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society Empty Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society

Post  PremierRed Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:59 am

To kickoff the Debate forum, I'd like to bring up an issue that's been controversial since the '60s. I'd turn this into a poll, but tacking your name into a group discourages actually posting your detailed opinion.
    The question is, should firearms be easy obtainable, or even restricted at all, to private citizens? Or should they belong only to the military? I'm interested to hear some opinions on this.
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet
    Name: Suzaku Kensei

Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society Empty Re: Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society

Post  Grimmjow Jaggerjack Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:15 am

I think they shouold be easy to get, but only after a psicological test.
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet
    Name: Rin Tachibana

Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society Empty Re: Healthy Debate: The Role of Firearms in Society

Post  Flan Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am

I think all semiautomatic firearms should be available to citizens of this country, though I believe in the current licensing system to dissuade casual "pick-ups" of dangerous weapons. I agree that putting automatics into the hands of everyday citizens would be a bad idea, since most amateur criminals tend to be pretty stupid and making it easy for them to get what they want is a bad idea. I believe heavier and more dangerous cartridges (armor piercing rounds) should be restricted because honestly, what is anyone going to do with those except plink (which I support) or kill our law enforcement?

Banning firearms in my opinion would lead to a dramatic increase in crime (look at the statistics: Washington DC, Detroit, California). Allowing people to have their own firearms is a comfort factor as well as a hobby for many (hunting, target shooting, collecting, etc) and taking that away from them would be unfair. Also, if anyone ever invaded us, arming and educating our civilians in correct firearm usage now would save us a lot of trouble in the long run.
    zooken
    zooken
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet
    Name: Darsh Bainwol

Post  zooken Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Kinda hard to have a debate when everyone is on the same side. I am also on the side of pro gun, but I'll play a little devil's advocate.

Even if you use the excuse that criminals will still have guns, regardless of them being legal or not, it is just that, they will always have guns. But by baning guns, you can prevent accidental deaths by civilians. Children won't find their fathers gun and play thinking its not loaded. THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!
    PremierRed
    PremierRed
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  PremierRed Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Teach kids gun safety. Put your guns in a child-inaccessible container or area. Accidents children have with guns are the result of parental negligence.
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet

Post  Flan Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Agreed. They tell you to separate your guns and ammo for a reason.

But I realized something. Banning handguns in Washington DC has certainly been the cause of the increase in crime in the city, but if they allowed guns, wouldn't that be just as bad?

I mean, if every schmuck ran around in the national capital packing heat, our government would practically have to travel in bulletproof clothing to avoid being assassinated by some nut who thinks he knows the right of things.

Now I know most of them deserve it, but it would be a double edged sword. Even if someone I agreed with stepped up, I guarantee someone else would have the same idea and attempt to assassinate the guy.

And think of all the law enforcement personnel who would die in the process. :/
    Spartan
    Spartan
    Administratinator

Character Sheet
    Name:

Post  Spartan Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 pm

OBAMA TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh, being serious, working to educate kids about the dangers of guns and all that would be a major step, after all, I think it's safe to say little Timmy won't be looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge if he knew what it did.

And I think you mean a psychological test Grimm.
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  Grimmjow Jaggerjack Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Yup, that's it, sorry for my bad spelling XP And allowing guns doesn't mean every one will be able to get one, they can't be giving weapons to for example a dude with a pin in the shirt that says Death for Obama ._. that's why i mentioned about the test, it's like a special counter terrorist course i'm plannig to do, they check your mental health, and your past to know you won't be killing people with the thing they teach you there, about guns, it should be the same...
    Demi Ryu
    Demi Ryu
    Administratinator

Location : A very dark place. You call it hell, I call it home

Post  Demi Ryu Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Grimm, you do know there is a thing called lying, right?

"So, will you kill Obama if I give you this gun?"

*covers "Death To Obama" pin* No... No I will not.

As for banning guns, it's just like when they banned Alcohol. Anyone remember that? If they ban guns people are just going to want them more, and sell them under the table. If we've learned anything from the past, banning something that the Masses love is only going to lead to it being sold illegally.

As for Gun safety, keeping ammo and the actual fire arm separate is probably the best way to avoid an accident with your child.

Unless of course you teach them about Petey the Pistol. And if you don't know what that is, watch Family Guy sometime.
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Grimmjow Jaggerjack
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  Grimmjow Jaggerjack Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Of course people can lie, but a psychological test is made so it's hard, and then studied, if you lie, you have to be good or they will trick so you end up in a time paradox and your head explode end up saying things that contradict yourself. And of course, having a loaded gun in your house is really irresponsible, and even more if there are childs around... But instead of baning, it's better to do campaigns showing people what happens when you use a gun the wrong way
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet

Post  Flan Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Spartan wrote:OBAMA TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Commie fuck. >_>
    Demi Ryu wrote:Grimm, you do know there is a thing called lying, right?
    LOL.
    Demi Ryu wrote:
    As for Gun safety, keeping ammo and the actual fire arm separate is probably the best way to avoid an accident with your child.
    Personally, I'd keep all the guns in my house loaded and at the ready, but that's because I'm a sadistic, paranoid nutter. The only, and I repeat ONLY reason I would ever buy a firearm is for self-defense (be it against rapists, robbers, zombies, or Democrats), so I would stick to the "educate your children in gun safety" plan.

Grimmjow Jaggerjack wrote:And of course, having a loaded gun in your house is really irresponsible, and even more if there are childs around... But instead of baning, it's better to do campaigns showing people what happens when you use a gun the wrong way

I flat-out refuse. The first thing I'm teaching my kid is how to identify and eliminate trespasser threats with a smoking 12-gauge. Okay, not really, but I disagree. Just put it in a high place or put the safety on. :/

And we have campaigns about gun safety. The thing is, I've only ever seen them used at gun ranges. Maybe having the nice police officers coming in to an elementary school class and teaching the proper way to handle guns would be a better tactic. It could even net the officers a nice, safe bonus too.
    zooken
    zooken
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  zooken Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:26 pm

I flat-out refuse. The first thing I'm teaching my kid is how to identify and eliminate trespasser threats with a smoking 12-gauge. Okay, not really, but I disagree. Just put it in a high place or put the safety on. :/

As soon as learned how to crawl, I learned how to climb. I could get the cookies from the top of the fridge before I was 2. Height isn't the best idea. And safeties only prevent the gun going off when its on, not to hard to switch it off.

Back to the psychological profiles, what if the dad is a nice up standing citizen and the kid has been picked on one to many times at school?
    "When I was in the 6th grade the bigger kids would constantly beat me up. So I started working out every day after school, and before I knew it I was strong enough to break open my dad's gun chest."
    -Patrick Cassels

The stereotypical postal worker, fine for 20 years, then snaps and goes "postal"?

The Korean war vet develops Alzheimer's and everyone is suddenly a commie?

Then what about all the people that you can't test? Illiterates? People with disabilities? People have a "constitutional right" to bare arms, you can't discriminate against the bipolar, narcoleptic, elderly...

When something is fool proof they come out with better fools.

Or you could go with Chris Rock's idea of making bullets expensive, $3K for a 9mm round, then only the rich can afford protection, or everyone become really really good shots.

Done ranting...FOR NOW!!!
    Demi Ryu
    Demi Ryu
    Administratinator

Post  Demi Ryu Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Personally, I'd keep all the guns in my house loaded and at the ready, but that's because I'm a sadistic, paranoid nutter. The only, and I repeat ONLY reason I would ever buy a firearm is for self-defense (be it against rapists, robbers, zombies, or Democrats), so I would stick to the "educate your children in gun safety" plan.

who would want to rape you Rin?

As for the school thing, a lot of Schools do that, but sometimes it still isn't enough. It all depends on the individual.
    zooken
    zooken
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  zooken Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 pm

You can't rape the willing Razz
    Demi Ryu
    Demi Ryu
    Administratinator

Post  Demi Ryu Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Yeah, but Rin would probably scream rape anyway, for the attention.
    PremierRed
    PremierRed
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  PremierRed Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Rin would get the last laugh anyways. Somehow...
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet

Post  Flan Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Demi Ryu wrote:

Let me tell you a story about a boy named... Russell...
    PremierRed
    PremierRed
    Serving Wench

Character Sheet

Post  PremierRed Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:00 am

Yukarin-rin wrote:
    Demi Ryu wrote:

Just try to forget about him, Rin... remember what the doctor told you. Take the pills, and imagine a field of flowers.
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet

Post  Flan Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 pm

PremierRed wrote:
    Yukarin-rin wrote:
    Demi Ryu wrote:

Just try to forget about him, Rin... remember what the doctor told you. Take the pills, and imagine a field of flowers.

I-It doesn't work... all I think about is the word "deflower" ;_;
    T
    T
    Ronery

Post  T Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 pm

Yukarin-rin wrote:I think all semiautomatic firearms should be available to citizens of this country, though I believe in the current licensing system to dissuade casual "pick-ups" of dangerous weapons. I agree that putting automatics into the hands of everyday citizens would be a bad idea, since most amateur criminals tend to be pretty stupid and making it easy for them to get what they want is a bad idea. I believe heavier and more dangerous cartridges (armor piercing rounds) should be restricted because honestly, what is anyone going to do with those except plink (which I support) or kill our law enforcement?

Obviously this topic isn't an active discussion right now, but I agree with most of this. Really though, banning firearms (full automatic, semi, or to various degrees) only restricts it to those who obtain it legally. There are people that go on killing sprees and do despicable acts after obtaining guns legally, but most of the people who have bad intentions in mind get it illegally. So really, banning would not do much in my opinion except take guns away from those who would be able to defend themselves.
    Flan
    Flan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan
    Of the Flan Flan Clan

Character Sheet

Post  Flan Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Yay, some actual debating going on here! Very Happy

But I still don't see why anyone would need an automatic weapon. If someone was really paranoid and sincere about automatic weapons, they could just use the ol' rubber-band trigger trick on their AR-15 or something. Honestly, when are you ever going to need an automatic in home defense? In such close quarters, a pistol or a shotgun would be best, and (well, not counting the shotgun) the small amount of shots used would have less chance of absolutely wrecking your pad.

Besides, if someone decided to commit a crime for the first time, buying an automatic death machine would be one license away. Neutral

Giving them semiautomatics at least gives the security guards a chance to fight back, because you know law enforcement and private security aren't going to be allowed to have autos. The only reason we would need automatics anyway would be to kill other people who have automatics, or to kill large amounts of people at once. And unless you're fighting zombies or criminals who follow the principles of the Russian army in WWII, ie drown the enemy in your own blood, when are you going to ever need to do that?
    Ruskin
    Ruskin
    Christfag Asspie

Character Sheet
    Name:

Post  Ruskin Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:52 am

I believe the same as Rin you should be able to use assault class weapons but their is no need for a civilian to own or need an automatic weapon. Seriously a pistol isn't always what you need and shotguns can be dangerous in some homes. Henceforth you should be able to use weapons such as AR-15's, The many models of the AK, FAL's, or a number of SMG's.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am